Dream Lilly

Dream Lilly
~Lilies Noir~

30 May, 2010

Patience, A Virtue?

I have heard my entire life that "patience is a virtue" and although it IS true, it occured to me while I was visiting family down in L.A. that patience is not the "only" virtue. Of course I'm sure there are many, but for the first time in a little over a year, I got the opportunity to stop, take deep breaths, and just be. It finally struck me,that SILENCE is also a virtue. And oh, how we lack that virtue so often, without realization.My grandpa was the most patient man I have ever known. EVER!!! That is a strong statement.

We would sit in his house for hours sometimes, just sitting in the rocking chairs, or him rocking, while I cleaned his house, talking, visiting; which usually consisted of him talking, and telling me memories while I silently listened, always on the edge of my seat wanting more, never wanting those conversations to end.

I saw from a very young age, that when others were roudy, or fighting, or just plain loud, that my grandpa was always silent. And it wasn't because he was angry, or upset, he just relished in the idea that God knew his thoughts, and that was usually good enough for him. That's not to say he wasn't able to be known, because he stood up for anything he believed in. And I think on all the moments in time long ago it seems, that we had him over for dinner, and we would sit on the couch afterwards, listening to my mom play the piano.

And how that was one thing he always cherished with my mom, from the time she first started playing as a young girl, how he would come in from the field, sit in his chair, close his eyes, and just listen to her music. He would very often fall asleep in the chair, or sitting on the chair, relaxing,as my mom played her beautiful music. What a blessing he said that always was for him, to just listen to her play.

So often we forget what it can truly do for us to just be silent...to "be still, and know that I am God" is my favorite passage in the entire bible. I know that there truly is growth within silence, and that is where some of our best growth buds and blooms from, but I know sometimes I don't like to sit in the silence. Part of me wants to stay busy, with noise, and things happening constantly, so there is no room for silence. But I've learned that being still in those silent moments is the best place for me to be, the best place for me to share, and the best place for me to grow.

1 comment:

  1. Over my years of growing and knowing my Lord, Silence and Solitude have truly become my friends, and I'm comfortable with both of them.

    ReplyDelete

** I love comments, feel free to leave me some here **