Dream Lilly

Dream Lilly
~Lilies Noir~

31 May, 2010

Today is Memorial Day...so what?

"It's just another day"..."A stupid holiday"..."An extra three-day weekend"...oh, and this one is my personal favorite-"Not a big deal to anyone; it's Monday, so what?"

These are just a few of the comments I have overheard lately as this weekend came approaching this past month, in Starbucks, at the supermarket, and at the doctor's office. And it just blows me away...how people have no reverance for what this holiday stands for.

Well, I'll tell you what it stands for...



Dan B. was my grandpa, but to those who knew him, friends and family as he grew up, he was always Danny, or Danny Boy. And it will always be my pleasure to say that when I was born, I was named after him. He fought in WWII, and told me countless stories of horror, fear, but they always included hope. And there were several that included a prayer I'm sure he prayed more often than not, "Lord, if you let me live through this, I'll do whatever you want me too....Don't let me die today..."and he didn't. He came home, though he saw old friends from his small town fall in France, and other places he fought, he came home, and married my grandma. (Another cute story for later.)


This was grandpa as I knew him, a picture I took several years ago, around 2006 at the Monterey Bay Aquerium...Jellyfish in the background. This man was well known for many years in our community, and at his memorial service, we saw that nearly three hundred people had been touched by his love of Christ over the years, and that's not even counting the people who called and told us they could not make it, but gave condolences. What an amazing life he led, also another story for later.

This is what sits atop a hutch in my mom's living room, we are so very proud to have this display, and honored as well. For those recieving the flag at the service of their loved one, the fathers, brothers, sons, and the mothers, wives and daughters that these flags are in tribute to, no longer with them, but on some level being a comfort to those families, we, as a family, my parents and I, and those that we all consider family, we take comfort in knowing that he fought the fight that is most important, and he won the race that he set out to win, so many years ago. He walked into those courts with thanksgiving in his heart, and he entered our Father's courts with nothing but praise...

We should all recognize today for what it is...it is Memorial Day for a specific reason, to publicly acknowledge those that have fought so that we can publicly say This Is The Day The LORD Has Made...I Will Rejoice And Be Glad In It.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your Grandpa, and our dear, dear friend.

    You are a writer Dani, and it certainly shows in the posts you are sharing.

    You have many stories to tell, and I look forward to each and every one.

    Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani ~ I introduced you to my friends in blogland today. Check out my Tuesday Tidbits and see the blurb I did on you at the bottom.

    I think my friends will enjoy your blog, and that's the way we all get started...sharing friends.

    Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited the VA Nursing Home yesterday and it was bittersweet! My dad is there and it is sad to leave him there to come home. They have made a nice, new home for these veterans, but YOU can see the lonliness on most of their faces! I hope to visit more and get to know some of these sweeties! Welcome to Blog Land Dani! I come from dear Wandas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Land of Blog Dani. Ienjoyed your blog and your christian testimony. Thanks to Wanda I visited and will definitely drop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dani, I came over from Wanda's blog. This was a wonderful post and tribute to your grandpa. I'm sure you're going to love blogging. I started blogging last October, and have really enjoyed it. I've also met some wonderful people.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dani,
    Beautiful tribute to your grandfather and I am sure he would be proud of you. Many people have forgotten what Memorial Day is all about. We were taught at an early age it's meaning but today things are different sad to say. Many things go left unlearned!
    I came over from Wanda's blog and wanted to say Welcome to Blogland. It is a wonderful place and I have met many good friends over the years because of it. It has been a blessing. Stop by my place if you have time. Oh and I like your background, very nice!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete

** I love comments, feel free to leave me some here **